Loganiza Chocoana: Columbian Sausages
Longaniza Chocoana Sausages
Recipe by María Florinda Coy Castilla
- Sausage casings
- 1.5 pounds of meaty pork rind
- 2 pounds of pork
- 2 pounds of beef
- 1 pound of chives
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch culantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- Cumin, pepper, habanero pepper, salt, and chicken bouillion to taste
- Lime juice
- First, dice meat and herbs.
- Mix with lime juice and let it sit for two days; the lime juice ferments the mixture.
- Stuff mixture into the sausage casing, dry the sausages in the sun for one hour.
- Steam sausages for 10 minutes, then dry in the sun for one hour, smoke the sausages for 10 minutes.
- When ready to consume, fry or bake sausages for 10 minutes.
Carolina Restrepo is a program intern for the Columbia program at the 2011 Folklife Festival.