Joloff Rice from Ghana: Peace Corp Recipes
Recipe by Gladys Sala Petey (Damongo, Ghana).
- Oil for frying
- Chicken thighs, legs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1 cabbage, sliced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4 cups of rice
- 3 ripe tomatoes, diced
- Can of tomato paste: 6-ounce
- Lettuce for garnish
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Habanero pepper
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large skillet.
- Stir-fry the chicken in the oil until it is browned on all sides.
- Remove the meat from the pan and set it aside.
- Add the onions, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and seasonings to the skillet and fry the mixture until the onions begin to become tender.
- Remove the onion mixture from the skillet and set aside with the meat.
- In a Dutch oven or large covered cooking pot, bring the broth and two cups of water to a simmer.
- Place the meat and onion mixture into the Dutch oven and cover.
- In the same skillet used for the meat and onions, stir-fry the tomatoes and other veggies.
- Continue frying the mixture until the vegetables are partly cooked, then add them to the meat, onions, and broth in the Dutch oven.
- Add the rice to the Dutch oven and stir gently.
- Cover the Dutch oven and cook the mixture over a low heat until the rice is done and the vegetables are tender (about half an hour).
- Stir occasionally and check to see that the bottom of the pot does not become completely dry.
- Add warm water or broth (a quarter cup at a time) as necessary to help the rice cook. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve with one lettuce to garnish.
Evangeline Mee is a program intern for the Peace Corp program of the 2011 Folklife Festival.