Empanadas Antioqueñas: Colombian Style
Recipe by María Yolanda Franco García
- 1 lb yellow hominy corn
- 1/4 lb corn starch
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ lb beef
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 lb scallions
- 3 tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- Oil to fry
- Let corn soak in water for 30 minutes and then cook until the corn is soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the corn cool.
- Grind the corn.
- Add the corn starch, salt, and sugar to the ground corn.
- Knead the dough until it is soft.
- Peel and cook potatoes for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Let them cool and mash the potatoes.
- Dice beef and place on skillet with 4 tbsp. of oil to fry.
- Let cool and then put it through a grinder or food processor.
- Finely dice vegetables and mix them with the mashed potatoes and ground meat.
Putting it together:
- Take a walnut size amount of the dough and flatten to create a circle.
- Place a 1/2 teaspoon amount of the stuffing onto the dough.
- Fold the dough over to create a turnover.
- Firmly press down along the edges.
- Place on skillet and fry until golden brown.
Carolina Restrepo is a program intern for the Columbia program at the 2011 Folklife Festival.