Colombian Empanadas Caleñas Recipe
Recipe by Jaime Otero Llanos
- 6 lb white hominy corn
- 1/2 lb pork
- 1/2 lb beef
- 1/2 lb white potatoes
- 1/4 lb yellow potatoes
- 1/4 lb onions
- 1/2 lb scallions
- 1/2 lb tomatoes
- 2 garlic gloves
- Pepper, azafran, cumin, and salt to taste
- Let corn soak in water for 30 minutes and then cook until the corn is soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the corn cool.
- Grind the corn.
- Add salt to taste.
- Knead the dough until it is soft.
- Finely dice all ingredients and place in a pot to cook in water.
- Add a tablespoon of hogao to marinate.
- When water has evaporated lower temperature and allow to cook until meats are soft and potatoes have dissolved.
- Let cool.
- Finely dice all ingredients.
- Add pepper, salt, and cumin to taste.
- Add azafran to give a yellow-orange color.
Putting it together:
- When meats and potatoes are ready, mix with hogao.
- Take a walnut size amount of the dough and flatten to create a circle.
- Place a 1/2 teaspoon amount of the stuffing onto the dough.
- Fold the dough over to create a turnover.
- Firmly press down along the edges.
- Place on skillet and fry until golden brown.
Carolina Restrepo is a program intern for the Columbia program at the 2011 Folklife Festival.